Search Our Very UN-Organized Life

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Being A Single Parent When You're Not

Anyone else feel like they are a single parent when they aren't 'single'? Chet works A LOT.. I'm not complaining, he does what he has to do in order to put food on the table and allow me to stay home. He is on 24/7 call so we don't really ever know what will happen when. For example, he came home from work last Tuesday and told me he would probably be leaving Wednesday to go offshore. Not even 10 minutes later his phone rings, it's his boss. They need him to get out to the dock ASAP to go offshore. Fine, whatever... He gets home late Thursday night, tells me there is a job going on a few hours away that he may have to go on Saturday. Okay, I can deal with that.... Gets a phone call Friday morning, they need him to go on that job ASAP (everything seems to be ASAP with these people). He didn't even get to stay home 24 hours! Now he is gone for who knows how long.

See I went off on a tangent. My point is, even though I am not single I often feel like a single parent. I have to be both Mom and Dad most of the time. I am left on my own to get all of the kids to their doctor appointments, playdates and other activities. Right now it's summer so there is not much going on, but this is year round. I think the worst part is trying to comfort the kids when they are crying for their daddy. They want to know when he will be home and I can't give them a definite answer.

3 comments:

  1. I know how you feel Victoria. My dh used to work 7 days a week and he didn't get home until it was almost time for the kids to go to bed. I don't have any advice on making it easier other than just hang in there. You never know what doors are gonna open later in life that will make things easier on the whole family. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel! I only deal with it every other week, but it sucks! Every other week, Kev leaves at 11am, comes home way after the girls go to sleep, then sleeps until just before it's time to leave the next day. He was on call last weekend, and everytime he started to do something, he'd be called out. I dread hearing that phone ring!

    I hate having to try to explain to the girls why he's not here. Hailey actually told me that his boss is a "loser" because he wouldn't let him come watch her at swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. It a tough life for us single parents. Luckily there are support networks such as this that you can complain to.

    I would love for you to feature this inspiring blog among other single parents on the bizymoms Anchorage community and offer your support to some of those discouraged moms.

    ReplyDelete